Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 2 of life.

We went to visit little Katherine this morning about 9 o'clock. She is breathing a little fast, but is doing very well otherwise. She was sleeping most of the time that we were there. It was so sweet because we could see her little eyebrows moving and every once in a while she would give a tiny little baby noise as she dreamed whatever newborns dream about. She seems to like it whenever we would very lightly lay a hand against her skin. In fact, she would make a little angry face in her sleep whenever Michael took his hand away. Already a Daddy's girl! We were able to stay through rounds, which was very helpful to us even though we did not understand a lot of the “Doctor” language that they were using. After presenting Katherine and discussing her care for a while amongst themselves, the resident on call broke the language down enough for us to understand that the reason she is breathing so fast may have to do with too much fluid around her lungs and if so, they may give her Lasix later on to help with this. We also stayed through her “cares”, so the nurse (Jordan) let us take her temperature, change her diaper, and hold her for a little bit. Her temperature was high – 100.9 under her arm – but the nurse said that this is normal with the medication she is on to keep her arterious ductus from closing. She turned the warmer that Katherine is in all the way down to the lowest temperature it will go to in order to help her cool down a bit. Then came the diaper changing. I was a little rusty at it, as it has been years since I have changed a diaper. Thankfully, it was only a little wet so I did not make a mess! Afterward, the nurse unhooked Katherine from the cables that she was able to so that they would not get tangled up when moving her. I sat in the chair and Michael kept her other little tubes and cords straight while the nurse handed Katherine to me in the chair and then hooked all of her cables back up. She was a little fussy at being moved but quickly settled down and slept for a long time in my arms. Eventually, the nurse came back and together, she and Michael transferred Katherine from my arms back to the warmer. It was a wonderful visit and I know that I have probably left something out. I spent most of the time trying to memorize her little features and expressions. We still do not know exactly when her first surgery will be. We have heard they are expecting it to be the end of this week or beginning of next week but an exact date will depend on her and her surgeons. We will let everyone know as soon as we know for sure.


  1. So glad you were able to spend that quality time with Katherine. We are praying all the time for the three of you. Keep up the good work. You are doing great!

  2. So happy for you & Vic!! Loved reading about getting to spend time with Katherine as a little family! Our thoughts & prayers continue for each of you. We also pray for the Doctors' to have wisdom from above. Thank you for sharing with us your beautiful time with your daughter.
    Prayers for more special times with her in the days & years to come!!
    Love & Prayers,
    Tammy & Carl Robinson